Monday 2 January 2017

One Word For 2017

Happy New Year friends! It's been such a long time since I've visited with you all.

As some of you might already know, I've never been a "New Year's Resolutions" kinda girl. It's easy to make 'em but it's also wayyyy easy to break 'em. And I don't like the guilt trip that happens when I inevitably stray off the beaten path a month (or a week, or a day) in.

So when I first joined the Compassion Bloggers and learned about "One Word", I liked the idea immediately. The premise is simple... you choose one word (although I know people who have picked a phrase, but I like to keep it simple) to focus on for the year.

My very first Word of the Year was chosen in 2015, and it was "Joy." I chose that word in January, and it was a well-needed reminder. I had been struggling through a lot of personal losses at the time and I felt like I had completely lost my joy. So it was really something I needed to focus on.

My second Word of the Year was "Free," and you can read my blog post about that right HERE. Again, that Word had a huge amount of significance in my life. And I can say with all honesty that that Word has changed my life this year. I broke free of a lot of things that held me back, cut myself loose from some harmful relationships, and freed myself from some harmful mindsets. God always knows what He's up to!

This year, I'll admit I had quite a struggle picking a Word. I actually got really frustrated on New Year's Eve because I still didn't have my Word chosen. I waffled back and forth between two or three Words, but nothing felt "right." I had to have a word that really "spoke" to me, not just a word but a Word (there is a difference you know!), and I just wasn't getting it.

Until last night, when it came to me simply and easy after a long hike in a snow-covered wood.



Embrace.

Last year was the year that I became Free. I let loose and let God change me into the person that I was meant to be... I even started a new blog about my personal journey (The Peaceful Bohemian). But with all that change came a lot of resistance, a lot of fear, a lot of emotional baggage and other stuff. This year, I will learn to EMBRACE that freedom. To cling to my faith with all I've got. To stop existing and starting LIVING. To hold on tight to the people I love. To take a deep breath and dive in. To love deeply, passionately, wildly. Embracing who I am in Christ, and embracing others for who they are. Throwing my arms wide open and letting God's love allow me to Embrace the whole world. Whatever that means.

Photo belongs to Compassion Canada, taken from their Facebook page

So, I hope you all will join me on this year's journey, as we all learn to embrace ourselves and our lives and God's will for us.

What will your word be?


And if you feel God is speaking to you to embrace a child in need this year, will you consider sponsoring one of these precious little ones? By supporting them and welcoming them into your family, you will change their life and also change your own. Please contact me if you have any questions regarding sponsorship whatsoever! Click on the link below each child's photo to learn more about them! 




Adorable Rein is four years old. He lives in Indonesia.
Rein has been sponsored!


Cheerful Chelsea is seven years old. She also lives in Indonesia.
Chelsea has been sponsored!


Pigtailed Arisleidy is four years old. She lives in the Dominican Republic.


2 comments:

  1. It's always fun to hear the words that are chosen!! And what an appropriate photo for your word!! I'm looking forward to seeing how God helps you embrace freedom this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo really stood out to me! It was too perfect! I'm looking forward to seeing what He has me embracing this year as well :)

      Delete